Skip to main content

Welcome Back Letter

Dear 2nd Grade Families,


I hope that summer is treating your family well.  Although we still have plenty of summer left, it’s already time to write to you about the upcoming school year.  


I had a marvelous time with your students at Step Up Day.  We read a story called “The Opposite” by Tom MacRae.  It is about a boy who is visited by the Opposite, which causes him to do the opposite of whatever he is told to do.   The boy cleverly conquers the opposite and enjoys getting back on track in his daily life.  We also created a classroom quilt about ourselves with the special markers.  I’ll post this as soon as we “stitch” it together.


A little about me:
This will be my 4th year teaching at GSB. I like to tell folks that I am an old-new teacher as I came to public school teaching mid-life.  While my work has always involved kids, it’s been in alternative settings.   I live with my husband Kevin and my 2 kids, Skyler(8th grade) and Mica(6th grade).  Skyler and Mica have been at GSB since kindergarten.  When I am not teaching, my other job is “soccer mom” as both Skyler and Mica play soccer all year.  Kevin is a great support at home and at school.  Your child will know him as our fish tank guy.  He also helps me execute some of my science and engineering projects for the kids.  When he is not checking our fish tank chemistry or driving to soccer practice, he runs the design office of Hodgdon Yachts in East Boothbay.  


What I am looking forward to:
This year, the 2nd grade team is planning a weekly, in-depth science program.  Your child will get a trimester of science from each of us in the areas of science and engineering, ecology and physical science.  I am also looking forward to a weekly community meeting where when we will host guest experts about many different subjects.  


Classroom supplies:  If you are unable to provide any of these items, let me know so we can work something out.  
  • Earphones or earbuds for personal use.  I believe that 2nd graders need to participate in a 21st century classroom.  While we will use technology for skill building, my focus with technology is learning to create and communicate.  Your child will need a set of comfortable earphones that your child can wear when using technology.
  • A case or a bag for earphones with name on it.   A sturdy zip lock bag is fine.
  • 1 package of pencils for the classroom.  
  • 1 package of thin markers for the classroom.
  • 1 package of ink pens for the classroom.


Classroom expectations:
My goal is to offer an engaging and meaningful 2nd grade year. Students are expected to come ready to learn every day.  We will have a lot of fun if everyone does their jobs.  I will work with parents on an individual basis to add supports for students who need help staying on track.  Working as a team, I am sure your child will have the best year ever!


See you all soon.  Don’t hesitate to contact me with your questions and comments before the beginning of the school year.  

khoughton@aos93.org

Cell:  315-5065

Kristie Houghton

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

January flew by in our classroom.  We've been so busy that I forget to pick up a camera.  I hope that we can start to integrate the Dojo app, as I know everyone is excited to use it and share with you.  Here's what we've been up to: Math: We have now made the transition to integrating Mrs. Fake's class into our math class.  We are steadily working on Unit 4 Measurement.  Students are working on accuracy, choosing the right tools and units for measurement, and making comparisons between the measurements of 2 objects.  This next group of lessons involves conversions between inches, feet and yards. If your student is working in Mrs. Fake's room, she is also working on measurement.  In fact, my students prefer to bring their math homework to her!  Everyone should be able to measure things at home. Writing: We are working on opinion writing by answering "Would You Rather" questions.  Students are expected to give their opinion, support it with reasons a

Landforms

Follow this link to  landforms.

The Planetarium

Today we took a visit to the Planetarium.  The second grade curriculum involves talking about eclipses, constellations and "faces" or phases in the moon.  Most students chose to write about the eclipse, but 1 student remembered the moon witch that some cultures see in the moon.  Here are just a few of the entries from our notebooks.